When purchasing machined parts from aftermarket suppliers, it is important to evaluate the machining process capabilities of your suppliers.
The most critical elements that assure a sound machining process include people, tooling, material, process control, environment, testing, recording and marking.
When you visit or inspect your machining suppliers, take the following actions to gauge the process capability of these factories on recordation:
1. Spot check the process flow cards, job records, first-piece and in-process inspection records and verify if they are clear, complete, accurate and traceable;
2. Spot check incoming and outgoing inspection records to verify if they follow the requirements, are complete and the data comply with inspection criteria;
3. Check on-site statistical data and summary charts to verify the proper use and management of the analysis, corrective actions and validation records for nonconformity items;
4. Verify if all records are regularly sorted, marked and filed, and all files are stored for easy retrieval;
5. Verify if all files are stored based on the required retention period and discarded according to proper procedures.
By Felix SS YUAN
Tapered roller bearings
Tapered roller bearings are separable into a cone assembly and a cup. The non-separable cone assembly consists of the inner ring, the rollers, and a cage that retains & evenly spaces the rollers. The cup is simply the outer ring.
Tapered roller bearings are commonly used for moderate speed, heavy duty applications where durability is required, especially widely used as the wheel bearings for trucks and semi-trailers.
Primary failure mode:
Tapered roller bearings rarely fail under normal speeds, unless they are caused in harsh working conditions.
About 40% of bearing failures are caused by dust, dirt, debris and corrosion, due to improper use and poor using condition, and they can also cause problems with torque and noise. Bearing failures caused by the environment and pollution are preventable, and the cause of such failures can be determined by simple visual inspection.
Critical quality control points:
1. The design of inner ring, especially the arc and angle design of the large rib, will directly affect the lubrication, noise and fatigue flake;
2. The choice of materials and heat treatment technology will directly impact the fatigue spalling, plastic deformation and cracks;
3. The calculation and adjustment of the clearance. If the clearance is too large or too small, it may cause noise, lubrication and other issues.
By Daisy RJ DU
According to ISO 19011:2018 “Guidelines for Auditing Management Systems”, an audit is a “systematic, independent and documented process for obtaining audit evidence and evaluating it objectively to determine the extent to which the audit criteria are fulfilled.”
A quality management system audit focuses on the development, documentation and implementation of the organization-wide quality management system to determine its compliance with corporate policies, contractual obligations and regulatory requirements.
The 5th of April every year is the traditional Chinese Qing Ming (or Tomb-Sweeping) Festival. It is a public holiday for people to remember and pay respect to the ancestors and the deceased. This year the Tomb-Sweeping Festival is on a Wednesday.
There are also multiple notable industry events in the coming month, among them:
9 – 11, April:
The 17th China (Guangzhou) International Auto Parts Expo 2019 (CAPE 2019) will be held at Pazhou International Sourcing Centre, Guangzhou. The planned exhibition space is 56,000 square meters, with more than 3,000 standard booths and over 65,000 visitors. The official website for the show is: www.ciape.cn.
15 – 19, April:
The traditional China Import and Export Fair, the 125th Canton Fair this year, will be held from the 15th of April to the 5th of May. Phase I of the fair, “Electronics & Household Electrical Appliances”, from the 15th to the 19th of April, covers Vehicles & Spare Parts and other related parts. Visit www.cantonfair.org.cn for the official Canton Fair website.
18 – 25, April:
The Shanghai International Automobile Industry Exhibition 2019 (Auto Shanghai 2019) will be held in Shanghai from the 18th to the 25th of April, in Shanghai. The previous show, Auto Shanghai 2017, had over 360,000 square meters of exhibition space and more than 1,000 exhibitors from 18 countries and regions. The official website for the show is: www.autoshanghai.org
SHENTOU SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT CO. LTD. is a Shenzhen, China, based company serving international automotive clients in the implementation of their China strategies and programs. CHINA AUTOMOTIVE SUPPLIER QUALITY MANAGEMENT BRIEFING is a bi-monthly newsletter published by Shentou to address the specific and unique quality challenges and concerns international automotive companies face with suppliers in China. Comments are welcome at firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here to subscribe.
Copyright © 2022 Shenzhen Shentou Supply Chain Management Co., Ltd.
All Rights Reserved.