For international buyers with limited knowledge of machining, it is important to have some basic understanding of the machining process capabilities of your suppliers of machined parts.
Focus on people, tooling, material, process control, environment, testing, recording and marking, as they are the critical elements in the quality assurance of the machined parts you are purchasing.
When you inspect or audit your suppliers, make sure you check the following aspects for the materials your suppliers are using:
1. Are the material codes and specifications on the production flow form the same as the ones used on-site?
2. Are critical and important raw and auxiliary materials on-site tested and marked with approvals?
3. Are materials in use monitored and batch-managed according to first-in-first-out (FIFO)?
4. Are products properly placed in separate locations and clearly marked before and after each process?
5. Are traceability marks placed on processed products?
6. Are error-proofing measures in place for parts processed by shared machines? Are there non-production parts on-site?
7. Are unqualified parts stored in containers or areas marked with “Defective Parts”?
By Felix SS YUAN
A belt tensioner is a device that applies a force to create or maintain tension.
The serpentine belt and the timing belt or chain on an automobile engine may be guided by an idler pulley and/or a belt tension wheel, which may be spring-loaded, hydraulic, or fixed.
Primary failure modes for belt Tensioner:
1. The belt slips;
2. The belt axial offset is too large;
3. Bracket of belt tensioner sway or the tension wheel run out axially / radially.
1. Use the standard scroll spring to ensure the stability of the tension;
2. Ensure the yaw angle with the product’s design and process;
3. Use good quality bearings.
Key quality control points in the production process:
1. Apply quality control on accessories;
2. Control the machining accuracy of bearing mounting holes;
3. Inspect the spring installation;
4. Control the concentricity of tension wheel.
Key quality control points of the finished products:
1. Product intact without cracking or rupture;
2. Bearing rotates smoothly; the tension wheel rotates in a circular motion without deviation.
3. The surface of the tension wheel is flat and burr-free;
4. The spring has a strong tension and reset force.
The Quality Core Tools for automotive industry are the building blocks of an effective quality management system (QMS) based on IATF 16949.
Initially developed by the Automotive Industry Action Group (AIAG), a not-for-profit association established in 1982 for streamlining industry processes with global standards development & harmonized business practices,
the Core Tools are defined as a set of five methodologies and techniques:
●Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP)
●Production Part Approval Process (PPAP)
●Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
●Measurement System Analysis (MSA)
●Statistical Process Control (SPC)
Today, most automotive manufacturers and suppliers require the use of one or more of the Core Tools and companies seeking IATF 16949 compliance need to understand the tools to meet the requirements.
Notable Industry Events
Automechanika Shanghai 2018 will be held from the 28th November to 1st December 2018 in the National Exhibition and Convention Center (Shanghai). It’s Asia’s largest trade fair for automotive parts, accessories, equipment and services. The exhibition space will be 350,000 sqm, with 6,250 exhibitors and 140,000 visitors expected to attend this year.
The exhibition will cover Parts & Components, Electronics & Systems, Accessories & Customizing, Repair & Maintenance, REIFEN co-located zone, Alternative Drive Systems & Digital Solutions, Dealer & Workshop Management, Car Wash, Care & Reconditioning and many other fields.
The official website of the fair is: http://automechanika-shanghai.hk.messefrankfurt.com.
Shentou as usual will exhibit at the Automechanika Shanghai 2018 and our booth numbers is 3E43. We look forward to meeting you there!
Heating season in northern China
The annual winter “heating season” in most of the northern China is coming again from the middle of November to the middle of March.
Traditionally the heating has always been generated with the use of coal which has contributed to the serious air pollutions in China. Recently as part of the Government efforts to curb the pollution, massive national efforts have been undertaken to reduce the use of coal, for example through the more use of gas.
The new efforts have certainly started to pay off, but winter still poses a touch challenge to keep the sky blue. So now there are contingency plans in many areas of China to take extra actions to reduce the emission of hazardous elements into the air during the period. As a result, factories without adequate environmental protection facilities sometimes have to reduce productions during the “heating season”.
If most of your purchases come from the northern parts of China, it is time to discuss with your suppliers and plan well ahead.
SHENTOU SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT CO. LTD. is a Shenzhen, China, based company serving international automotive clients in the implementation of their China strategies and programs. CHINA AUTOMOTIVE SUPPLIER QUALITY MANAGEMENT BRIEFING is a bi-monthly newsletter published by Shentou to address the specific and unique quality challenges and concerns international automotive companies face with suppliers in China. Comments are welcome at firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here to subscribe.
Copyright © 2022 Shenzhen Shentou Supply Chain Management Co., Ltd.
All Rights Reserved.